Applying for a Discharge Upgrade

Being discharged from the military with anything other than an honorable characterization of service is a mark that can stay with you for life, affecting your job prospects, eligibility for benefits and overall quality of life. Although it is difficult to get your discharge upgraded, it is not impossible.

Recent Case Results

A former Afghanistan veteran was charged in a “shaken baby case” in April 2017. One of our attorneys defended this case.

Client fully acquitted; currently working to upgrade client’s discharge.

When You Can Apply for a Discharge Upgrade

There are several steps to take when applying for a change in military discharge status. First, it is important to know that the application must be sent in within 15 years of separating from the military. If it has been more than 15 years, you will have to apply to change your military records before proceeding.  There are certain exceptions to the 15 year requirement that our experienced attorneys can explain to you.

How to Apply for a Discharge Upgrade

You can either complete your application online, or pick it up at your Department of Veteran Affairs’ (VA) regional office, or your local Department of Defense location. It is important to be extremely thorough in your reasons for an upgrade when filling out your application, because any issues you do not list cannot be added later on. Your attorney can help you to make sure that you don’t miss anything that could be considered relevant.

The Hearing Process

After you submit your application, you have the option to receive your decision with or without a hearing. If you choose not to have a hearing and your upgrade gets denied, then you have the option to schedule a hearing to follow up.

A hearing typically takes around an hour. The Discharge Review Board will be there, which consists of five officers and other high-ranking active military members. Each member of the board will vote and if the majority is in your favor, your upgrade will be granted.

How We Can Help

Even though it is difficult to get your discharge status changed, there is still hope for your case. Attorney Garrison Wood specializes in military defense and knows how to handle applications for discharge upgrades.

To learn more about how we can help guide you through the application process and the hearing, schedule a free review of your case today.

24-Hour Legal Advice By Phone:
1 (866) 603-9811
Our attorneys are at the ready 24 hours a day, every day of the year.

Text or Chat 24 Hours a day, 7 Days a Week
Did you know you can text or chat online with one of our attorneys, any time day or night?
Text 1 (866) 603-9811 or click here to start a chat session.

Free Case Evaluation