Filing an Article 138 Complaint

We understand that it can be difficult to find redress for certain issues you may have during your time in the United States Military. That’s why it is important to understand how to file an Article 138 complaint. If you have any questions about how to proceed, an experienced military defense attorney can help guide you.

Article 138

You have certain rights as a service member, and of these rights is filing an Article 138 complaint. According to the Uniform Code of Military Justice (UCMJ), if you feel as though you were wronged by a commanding officer, you can file an Article 138 complaint to seek redress.

 Filing an Article 138 Complaint

To file an Article 138 complaint, you must submit your complaint in writing along with evidence, to the accused commanding officer within 90 days of the wrongful act, or within 180 days if you are a member of the Air Force.

The commander who receives the Article 138 complaint must notify you in writing on whether or not redress is granted. If rectification is denied, there must be a provided reason for why it was not granted. Each branch has its own procedure in place, so it is important to consult with your attorney if you are unsure how to proceed.

How We Can Help

At Garrison Military Law, we specialize in military defense and can help you with the Article 138 complaint process. If you feel you have been wronged, it is important to speak up. Let us help you voice your concern. Contact us for a free review of your case.

24-Hour Legal Advice By Phone:
1 (866) 603-9811
Our attorneys are at the ready 24 hours a day, every day of the year.

Text or Chat 24 Hours a day, 7 Days a Week
Did you know you can text or chat online with one of our attorneys, any time day or night?
Text 1 (866) 603-9811 or click here to start a chat session.

Free Case Evaluation